Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day, 18 days early.

I was browsing through my local thrift store the other day looking for fun things, when a light broke through the january clouds upon the front table by the window. And sitting there in that beam of light was the Singer 404. It's from 1958. It is a beauty. I asked the ladies behind the counter about how well it worked and where it came from. Aside from needing a good wipe down, the thing sparkles. However, it's sticker price and my budget for the week weren't jiving, so I walked out of the store and tempted fate that it would be there upon my return. The next day I was on the phone with my lovely mother who said, "you know, that would make someone a GREAT valentine's day present." I just laughed. In the growing up process, I really hate it when people spend money on me. I feel like I need to buy the things I want. But who can say no to their mother. A week went by without her saying another word. But this morning, she called and asked me if I was dressed, it was time to go to the thrift store. My reply? "I can put a hat on."
And so, here she is. Sitting beautifully on my living room desk. I spent most of the afternoon pre-work just learning it's buttons and levers. The fact that the bobbin winds by a lever that's attached to a rubber wheel, so that when you press the foot, the wheel winds the thread. HOW IMPRESSIVE! I'm in love.

I think Hank the cat is in love with it too! Or maybe just waiting for new fabric scraps to hit the floor. Either way, expect many great new projects from my new machine! What a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura, thanks for stopping by my blog
    I don't know how you found my post about the retreat so quickly, but am glad you did. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the paper piecing lesson and I could tell that you loved it. That is what made it worthwhile to teach!!!
    Hope to see you again, and thanks for the kudos on my blog. Yours is great, too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails