Saturday, January 23, 2010

Little accomplishments.

A few years ago, I had the privilege of meeting this wonderful photographer who changed my outlook on creative people. Most of the creative people I had ever met were eccentrics. But here was this normal guy. A guy's guy. Obsessed with sports and racing, over the moon about trains and learning everything he could about them. He spoke different languages and had a cool charm about him that made him instantly likable. He was just so interesting to talk to. But aside from his obsessions and likes and his ability to read and retain every book on his heaving shelves, was a talent that blew me away. He can look through a lens, find the light and pull feelings out of you that you didn't know you had. I swear to god, I'm not blowing smoke up your ass. His pictures epitomize all that is good about photography. The light and the shadows. The recording of a moment that made sense in his head. The sitting still and seeing, not just looking.

I've been spending time trying to pull my shit together. If you are a creative person, you know how hard this can be. Add that to the fact that I've never been the stable one. I'm the overly emotional, highs and lows, thinks too much one. But I have this vision in my head of what I can do. If I just find a way to sit and do it. There's this calendar on my wall these days. The kind you would make your for pre-teen to learn time management. And on it, every morning, is written breakfast. Because most days, I even skip the simple and easy parts. It's starting to help. For three weeks now, I've had something to eat within the first few hours of being awake. It's a tiny accomplishment that makes me proud of myself. (However small it may be.)

It seems a stretch to say that meeting this amazing photographer inspired me to eat breakfast. But it's true. I'm finding out its about tiny moments. The smell of the linoleum as you carve a block. The sweet sensation of sore fingertips because you've been working so hard. Finishing (finally finishing!) a project and gazing at it proudly. The feeling of inspiration because you know you can do something. I mean, c'mon, you tackled the daily task of eating breakfast. So here's to the people who inspire you. The people in your life who teach to you to be still and see the moment.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails